Tuesday, March 20, 2012

My Tribute to Ella

Yes, I am aware that I already blogged today, but that was before my visit to the vet with my hamster and that was before I knew that they were going to have to put her down. 


You may think it is silly for me to be so obsessed and in love with a hamster, but if you know my family background with animals, you would understand. 


                     Plus, look at how cute that face is. How could you NOT be obsessed?


Ever since I was little, my mom has been a HUGE advocate for rescuing and loving all shapes and sizes of creatures. Not to mention, she is very into science... so some of things we kept was for her own scientific pleasure.To list a few of what we have owned: Hamsters, a hermit crab, a rabbit, a parakeet, many dogs, 2 cats, a black widow (yes, a black widow/my mom's scientific pleasure), and more.


So, as you can see, in my 24 years of life, we have had a variety of animals. And the fact that I have been exposed to so many different types of animals, I believe that has allowed me to love animals immensely and to care for anything that can show you love in return. If you still think it's silly of me to be sad about the loss of my hamster, whatever.. I don't really care.


Two years ago, when I lived alone, I decided to get an animal. I knew it had to have been something easy to take care of (since I didn't have much time outside of work in addition with extra curricular activities), but I knew it also had to be something I could pet, play with, and form a bond with. 


So I decided to get a Hamster because my apartment complex wouldn't allow cats or dogs!


I did a little research on hamsters when I decided to get one and believe it or not, Hamster's have a pretty good sense on who their owner. They also have the perfect ability to form a bond with their owner as well.. Once they develop a familiar sense of their owner's smell, voice, and the way they handle them, it becomes hard NOT to fall in love with them. 


When I went to the pet store with my friend Kiley, Ella was in a cage all by herself standing on her two hind legs with paws up on the glass looking for a way out. All the other hamsters were in cages together, but her. I asked the employee why she was in a cage all by herself and she said it was because she was violent; that she would always bite all the other hamsters. Ella looked everything BUT violent so I really didn't believe the employee. As Ella stood there looking out of the glass and starring right at me to take her home, I knew that she was the Hamster for me.


That first night I had her, she escaped. What a brat! I hated her that night. I even thought about returning her... but every time I looked at her, my anger always went away. She was seriously the cutest little furriest thing. 


           Ella on the first night I got her. As she was at the pet store... looking for a way out.


As weeks went by. I would put her in her ball and she would roll around my apartment while keeping me company.


                                            We started to form a bond. :-) 


She even came to work with me one day! (I was leaving for Cleveland right after work and I didn't want to leave her alone for a long weekend)


                                                 Ella hard at work.....


She spent two Christmas's with me!


                                           She knocked an ornament down!


And I even sent out Christmas cards this year with her and I! 


                      Only those who understood my obsession with her got this picture


When it was my birthday, she got a balloon too!




Even when we had guests over, she was always a big hit!


                                                  My sister, Jen, and Ella!


And when it was just a regular weekday, sometimes I would just like to sit there and pet her... and she would let me!! She loved to get her back rubbed! 


                  Yep... I gave her kisses. Sorry I'm not sorry if you think that's gross.


She really was a great hammie and at times was even a real ham. She only bit me once, and when she did, I cried... (I had also been drinking so she was probs really irritated with me). 


Knowing that I showed all the love in the world to just a hamster, makes me feel confident in knowing that I am ready to take on bigger and more time commitment animals. I take comfort in knowing that I did everything I could have done. It was just her time. 


Love you Ella! Have fun in Hammy Heaven with all the snacks and rolly ballys you could ever dream of! And even though Tony wasn't a real big fan of you, I'm sure he secretly misses you too! 


No comments:

Post a Comment