Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Beauty of Simplicity

  "Simplicity is Beauty and Beauty is simplicity, nothing more, nothing less." - Oscar Wilde

Yesterday was the definition of beauty. The sun was shining, the breeze carried the smell of cookouts and bonfires and the air was blossoming with happiness. Wow, that was very poetic of me.

My roommate, Cristina, called me around 3pm to ask if I wanted to join her on a bike ride after work.

Is that even a question?! Of course I said YES! Duh!

I haven't been on my bike since this past summer, so when she mentioned a bike ride, I was incredibly stoked to pump up those tires, clean off those cob webs (no joke), and reacquaint my butt with that ever so comfortable bike seat...

We hopped on our bikes around 6pm and off we rode into the sunset! (So romantic, I know!)
                     Of course I brought my camera... (I am a bit of a picture geek) 

As you get to know me, you'll learn that I am very well at multi-tasking!.... Get your head out of the gutter... I'm talking about taking a picture while riding a bike... it's harder than it looks!

Anyways... Bowling Green has a bike trail that goes for about 13 miles. Cristina and I decided to ride our bikes from our apartment to the bike trail and then ride the bike trail for as long as the sunlight would allow us! Aww so sweet.

For those of you that only know Bowling Green as a college town, you probably don't even know about the beauty and simplicity that exists on the west side of Bowling Green. Once you get on this bike trail, it's like you see a whole new side of Bowling Green.

For those of you that are familiar with the bike trail, you probably think I am crazy for saying that it is beautiful. You're probably like, "Joanna, open your eyes, its a trail with grass all around it".

In all reality, you're right. The bike trail is surrounded by nothing. Literally.

Trees, farm land, and swamps is your only option for scenery.

So yeah...Sounds incredibly boring right? 

Wrong. On our bike ride yesterday, I have never seen a trail so simple, be so beautiful.

Breathtaking right? If you don't think so, then you should probably just stop reading my blog already....

Cristina and I were so captivated by the simplicity of the trail and the way that the sun was beating on everything that surrounded us, that we had to stop a few times to really take in the beauty of it all!
Clearly I wasn't paying attention to the camera because I was too hung up on my surroundings!
        Cristina was, as she likes to call it, "suns out, guns out" and soaking up the sun! :-)

We even stopped along the trail to read some Bowling Green history!

The swamp land was just as beautiful. The frogs were creating such a sweet melody that Cristina and I had to stop and just listen to them for about 3 minutes. We even tried to find a frog but it sounded like they were off being busy... if you know what I mean... ;-)

                       Hahaha I needed to record how loud the frogs really were!!

After we let the frogs serenade us... we hopped back on our bikes only to arrive to the little town of Rudolph just around 7pm, where we then turned around to continue our journey on home!

Wait. Rewind. Town called Rudolph? Yes. And not only is it named Rudolph... but it's also the deerest little village in Wood County!


Cristina and I were so thrilled we made an appearance in Rudolph!

                                                 Thumbs up for Rudolph!!

                                                     Weeeeee for Rudolph!!!

On our way home we didn't make any stops because the sun was really starting to set, but we did still enjoy the beauty surrounding us.

We finally made it back home around 8pm where we then had a cookout with our other roommate, Jenny, and her fiance, Joey. High five to turkey burgers!

So in case you are wondering. Yes. Yesterday we lived the epitome of a perfect life.

So to all you "on-the-go" and "get it done now" people, Jo(W)anna know what? No matter how simple or complex life may be, there is beauty in all that is around you. You just have to stop what you're doing every now and then to recognize it. Every once in a while, take some time to appreciate and enjoy what life has given you and stop and smell the roses... literally.

                                                            He gets it...

No comments:

Post a Comment