Friday, May 11, 2012

Warning: Sappy Mother's Day Post

"A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie." ~Tenneva Jordan

With Mother's Day coming up, it continously has me thinking about home and how much I appreciate my mother. So here it goes, to my mother (who probably will never read this because sometimes turning on the computer is a struggle. Haha!) this is for you... 

Being so far away from my mother has been a struggle for me at times, but in the end,  has been a blessing in disguise. When my parents lived two hours from me when I was a freshman in college, I took it for granted. I didn't go home as often as I should have and now, being so far away from home made me realize that I should never take an opportunity to go home for granted. Being so far away from my mother has really strengthened our relationship. Not only do I consider her my mother, but I consider her my best friend. My sisters may call me "momma's girl", and maybe even a bit of a suck up at times... but they're right; I am. She is someone whom I can always turn to when I am feeling sad, happy, scared, nervous, confused, excited or overwhelmed. She always knows the right things to say, even when it's things I don't want to hear. She guides me when I do not know what's next, and no matter what, she always has my back. She is selfless, always putting me and my sisters before herself. She is beautiful inside and out. She is the very person I hope to be when I become a mother.



 She is funny.


She is peaceful.


And well, why yes, she is my home girl.


With all this wedding planning, I realize more and more each day that my future of creating my own family is fast approaching. Once I am married, Tony and I will begin our own family traditions and begin our own journey together, and in a way, it is very bittersweet. So every second I can, I cherish every conversation, meal or vacation with my mother. I know that getting married won't change my relationship with my mother, in fact, it will probably only enhance it some more. But reflecting back on my 24 years with my mother, and how much she has shaped the person who I am, I do feel a bit nostalgic. My mother and I have been through so much together. There have been times where I thought she could never forgive me for things I have done, and there have been times where I knew she couldn't be more proud. These past 24 years with her as my mother have taught me that a mother's love is pure, unconditional and a true definition of "tough love".

So Jo(W)anna know what? A mother's love often goes unnoticed or disguised, and often, it isn't until this one day out of the year, this one day, that we thank her for everything she has done. This one day where we can reflect on all the good and bad we have ever had with our mothers and acknowledge how much of a role she really plays in who we are today. This one day where we can admit that "mother always knew best" and actually recognize it to be true. But why just this one day? If you ask me, mother's day should be every day. You should always thank her for everything she does. You should always reflect on the good and bad you have with your mother. You should always acknowledge how much of a role she plays in who you are today; and be grateful for that. You should always be willing to admit that "mother always knew best" because let's face it, it's the truth.

So to every mom out there, Happy Mother's Day. Although you may not hear it as much as you should, we appreciate you, your hard work and unconditional love. So just know this Mom's; you are teachers, friends, and mentors just as much as you are mothers and we love you!! 

Love you, Mom!

And no matter how old you are, or where you live, you can always go back home. Home, where your mother will always welcome you with open arms and a home cooked meal. Home, where your mother will secretly pray you stay for a week longer.


No comments:

Post a Comment