Thursday, May 10, 2012

Just a Casual Stroll

"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time". ~Steven Wright

Oh yeah Steven? The shortest route from coast to coast, from San Diego, CA, to Jacksonville, FL, is approximately 2,350 miles long. With an average human walking speed of 5 km/h, and allowing 12 hours per day of walking, the journey would take at least two months.

When I have a random 2 to 3 months to spare.. maybe I'll attempt this...



BUT... I do believe that not enough people take simple, quiet, healthy walks. There is so much life has to offer and it's, unfortunately, easily overlooked every day.

We surround ourselves with so much noise for the majority of the day (i.e. phones, email, meetings, commutes, etc.), that we owe it to ourselves to make time for some personal reflection and peaceful activity at the end of the day. And if you don't enjoy the quiet and relaxation, then to each is own I guess.

Lately I have been doing so much running that not only is my body telling me I need a break, but I feel like I don't even pay attention to my surroundings anymore. I run and I run and I run just to get to the end. So yesterday, my roommate Cristina and I decided to give our legs a rest and go for a walk. It was a perfect day for a walk. The temperature was in the mid 60's, there was a strong breeze (of course there was... they don't call it Blowing Bowling Green for nothing) and you could smell the rain coming in from the North.

Now of course, when I get the opportunity, I bring my camera with me wherever I can. 
Here are just a few of the surroundings from our walk yesterday:

I gave her flowers! :o)

 
This was a cool lookin tree! This was Cristina's find!
It had like clumps of leaves.

If you can't tell.. I love silhouette pictures!
A storm coming in!
Hey wittle guy!
The sun in battle with the clouds.


So Jo(W)anna know what? When you don't think you have the time to enjoy what life has handed you, tisk tisk. "We still do not know one thousandth of one percent of what nature has revealed to us." - Albert Einstein. Time is what you make of it, so reserve an hour of your day to enjoy life. In all comparison, an hour to admire the outdoors is nothing compared to the 4 hours the average American spends watching TV a day.

Plus... trees don't make bad therapists...


Happy Thursday! :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment