Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Half Marathon: Check!

I am completely aware that it has been about 2 weeks since my last blog post. For that, I give you my deepest apologies since I am sure that you missed me dearly... 

I'm sure you all have just been dying to know how my first half marathon went! 

Well, it was unlike anything I have ever expected. I actually placed in the top 5 female winners!! My clocked time was one hour and 15 minutes. Can you believe it?!?

You shouldn't. I'm joking. In fact, I'm not even sure if that has happened in my dreams.

Yes, the race was unlike anything I have ever expected. It was awful to tell you the truth. The heat made me feel like I was literally in Hell and the hills (even the smallest, most puny ones) made me just want to hop on the Cleveland Rapid to the finish line. And yes, I did place... but it was like 5,287 out of like 15,000 some people. 

What matters though is that I finished. 

Tony stayed with me the entire time. Even when the heat got the best of me and I could tell he was just dying to take off running, he never left my side. I'd say he's a keeper. :o)

Here are a few pictures from the race:

 Pinning my bib!

 Tony and I holding up the sign that Jenny made!

Tony, Me, Cristina and Pito all before the race!

 Almost there!

Not sure who that lady is, but I was determined to beat her!

 We did it!

My love and I! :o)

When I crossed that finish line, I hugged and kissed Tony and then immediately said, "I'm never doing this again". That's a lie. Who am I kidding? I'm already making plans to do another half marathon in October. 

Would I ever do the Cleveland one again? Probably. Do I want to? Hell no. 

If I am going to continue doing marathons, I want to travel while doing it. I also swore to myself that I never want to do one in the summer time ever again. I don't know if I can keep that promise, but when I get hot and sweaty, I become the biggest, crabbiest, most dramatic diva ever. Trust me, I hated Tony during the race. All I wanted to do was quit and find a pool and he wouldn't stop yelling at me to run faster. Love him for it though. 

Since the race was on a Sunday, I was happy I took that following Monday off of work. It allowed me to rest, recover and also gain my sanity back. That whole week before the race, I couldn't sleep nor concentrate on anything.

What a perfect day off. 

So Jo(W)anna know what? Although this half marathon was the most challenging thing, both mentally and physically, that I have done thus far in my life, I can finally say that I've done it. I have never been a runner. EVER. So to me, this is a huge accomplishment. Now that I have done one where my only goal was to finish, I want to continue doing them with new goals in mind. I am so thankful that I got to share this experience with my best friend, Cristina, her brother, Pito, and with the love of my life, Tony. Although it was hot and difficult, and even though I contemplated jumping off those Cleveland bridges a couple of times, I wouldn't have wanted my first half marathon to go any other way. no regrets is the key to happiness! Since it was so hot and difficult, I know that now I can complete almost anything else that I set my mind to. And I will.

What a journey this has been. Thank you so much to everyone who has ever encouraged, supported, and even doubted me. You all kept, and continue to keep, me going. 

I can now proudly sport my 13.1 sticker on my car. (Courtesy of my roommate Jenny)


13.1... I'm only half crazy. Who knows, maybe someday I'll go full crazy and do a whole marathon. ;o)

2 comments:

  1. My fiance only ran the 10K that day...but I heard the hills on the half were killer! Congratulations on finishing it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margaret! That's awesome! Were you there? The heat was awful!

    ReplyDelete