Monday, April 23, 2012

Bring on the Races; Bring out the Advil (and beer)


Yep. That's a screen shot of my iPhone after my run yesterday. 

Impressed? You should be. Haha just kiddng... I thought about quitting about 70 times... especially after mile 1. I wasn't even planning on running 11 miles until I asked my roommate, Cristina, how far she was running this weekend and her reply was "11 miles". 

My immediate reaction in my head was, excuse my language, "Damn it".  

My immediate reaction out loud was "11 MILES?!" like I was hoping for a "Just Kidding" to come out of her mouth. She wasn't joking though. 

No, I am in no competition with her. In fact, I am not even the competitive type. Even if I was in a competition with her, I wouldn't stand a chance. She belongs in the Olympics. But it's just that we (Cristina, Tony, myself and many other of our friends) are training for our first half marathon which takes place on May 20 and I know that I have to stay on top of things if I want to finish without injuries. All in all, she acts as my motivation more than anything.

This would be me without Cristina.

Seriously...

This coming Saturday, April 28th, is Tony and I's 5 year anniversary of dating. The more and more I think about us getting married, and don't get me wrong.. I am STOKED to get married, it just kind of makes me sad that this anniversary technically won't count anymore once we are husband and wife. But with everything else in life, better and greater things come along and the past becomes nothing more but sweet memories! 

So guess what we are doing for our anniversary...   


Can't guess? 


Ok, I'll tell ya. 


We are running a 10 mile race! Awwww so romantic.....  We really know how to plan our dates. I can't wait to get all sweaty, gross and sore with the man I love. 

That sounds incredibly dirty... but you know what I mean.

This is my first 10 mile race however, and the fact that we have both come so far with running and are doing it together, well, it is kind of cool.  

But to be  honest... I am not looking forward to actually running it... I actually am only looking forward to getting my t-shirt and my medal once I finish... I will do whatever it takes to get my first real running medal.

This will be me if I don't get my medal...


I'm not joking.

But don't think that our anniversary fun ends there! After the race, we are, believe it or not, doing something relaxing and fun. We are going  to the Indians game and drinking a nice cold beer(s) while enjoying baseball in the sunshine. :o) 

After a 10 mile race.. that is EXACTLY what I'll want to do. Instead of laying down and popping open the Advil bottle every 3 hours... all I'll want to do is sit, drink and watch some Tribe. 


Truth.

So Jo(W)anna know what? Even though I will be spending my 5 year anniversary running a 10 mile race and watching some baseball... I wouldn't want to do it with anyone else. Yeah that might sound a bit cheesy, but isn't the truth about your feelings typically cheesy? That's a rhetorical question, so don't answer that. But I do honestly love that Tony and I share similar interests, with running being one of them. If anything, our recent love for running has strengthened our relationship with not only ourselves but with each other as well. (Barf, I know). 


And thank god for such motivating roommates too. Without them, I would for sure be sleeping in a bed of cake batter and cookies. I cannot wait to cross that half marathon finish line with the people I love. 


But until that time comes, please pray that I finish this 10 mile race in one piece... 


I do not want to end up looking like this guy...

2 comments:

  1. You will do awesome Joanna! So excited for you! Can't wait to see you at the half!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jess! I can't wait to see you the half too! We'll need to find each other to get a picture together! :o)

    ReplyDelete